25 May 2011

Biggest Loser Season 11 Finale

We all have opinions, some of stronger than others.  I have opinions, and I think a lot of them are valid!  I was once told that my opinions are either works of fiction or just false, and the person who told me this had opinions that are "fact". Screw that. Here are mine.

The Biggest Loser Season 11 Finale was last night.  And if you haven't seen it [i.e. you live in a dark closet with no internet or TV connections], beware, below are some SPOILERS.  Also below are my opinions. You're welcome. ;)

A few at-home contestants.
These contestants I followed the closest throughout Season 11


Austin: I followed Austin relatively closely.  In the beginning, I wasn't a huge fan of his, but I don't think he was even a big fan of his and I kind of realized that. As he came out of his shell and basically grew up, I became a supporter, and he seems like a cool guy. I was shocked that he lost the at-home prize to Deni, I thought he had it.

Arthur: I didn't really follow him all that closely, but I expected a slightly higher amount of weight loss from him, based on how well he was already doing when they did his follow-up after he was sent home..

Courtney: Love this girl, she seems true to herself and like she cares about everyone.  I was surprised that she didn't lose a bit more weight at home, but based on her twitter posts it seemed like she was pushing really hard.  She looked wonderful, especially from her highest weight, and I expect to see great things from her!

Justin: Okay, I didn't really follow him that much, but did he seem high as a kite to anyone else?

Jen / Sarah: WOW!  Blonde bombshells! I dislike the color blonde (too much like Barbie), but hello hotties! Great job, amazing. Especially Sarah with her 'baby muscles.' Woo!

Kaylee: I'm sorry. Seriously? Really? Kidding? Losing weight is tough, I get it. Keeping it off is really tough, I get it.  But did she just go on this show for Moses? Did she learn anything? Throwing weigh-ins was supposed to end when you got sent home!  Contestants like this (and Rulon, Dan, Don, Q....) irk me, because of people like the white team (Vance and his mom, oh wait, ironically her boyfriend) who seemed like they really would have done well! #!$%^!#$%^

The Final 4: 
These contestants I followed the closest throughout Season 11

Jay:  WHAT a champion. This man, the comeback kid was just that. Something wasn't right with him when he came back from his stint at home, but wow did he come back!  He looks amazing, and in a daughter/father way - I was so proud of him! He seems like a true gentleman!

Irene: Silent Ninja. As the biggest loser on the ranch, I definitely expected a slightly lower number from her, but she really did look stunning.  She seemed "off" last night, which I attribute to nerves.  She is a serious champion though, I definitely love her and am glad she was in the final 3!!

Hannah: I will say, if I had to pick one: Hannah was my favorite.  There, I said it. Her humor with Olivia is just like mine with my sister, and there is something about Hannah that I just really connected with.  She brought light to every tough situation, and I felt so connected with everything she felt about herself.  I hope that I can become half of the beautiful woman she has, and like she spoke about, I can't wait to begin dating again also!  As straight as I am I have a total girl-crush on Hannah! She's hot! :)

Olivia: This woman, I don't even know where to begin. She started out pretty broken, like she had the world on her shoulders and no way out.  Something seemed to click about 8 weeks ago (weeks in the show), and she just dove for it.  I don't think that there was a contestant who wanted it more, for the right reasons. She had specific goals: to be able to have a baby, to lose the weight, to get the opera gigs that she deserves, to become the Biggest Loser. In true sister style, she edged Hannah out by such a small amount, and I'm not surprised: we older sisters are competitive & take-charge! Congratulations Olivia!

The trainers:

Bob: Nothing else to say other than I have the biggest crush on this man, wish he was my trainer and friend, and I hope to meet him some day. Also, I hope that when I meet him I'm at my goal weight so he can call me hot like he did Hannah ;)  Just sayin'. (adore him, value his opinion!)

Cara: I can't hate her, I just can't. I relate to her with losing a parent, and there's something about her that is earnest. She clearly connected emotionally with many of her contestants. I don't think that she was necessarily ready for this task, and I wasn't a fan of her unflattering dress, but I'm kind of disappointed to not see her try to improve for a second season. A lot of people judge Cara and Brett, but listening to Bob/Jillian talk about the earliest Biggest Loser seasons: They weren't perfect then either.  I hope that Cara has learned a ton in this experience.

Brett: I'll admit it, on his teacher challenge, I was hot for teacher.  He was a former overweight person, and I really connected to that.  With his style of training, I didn't really connect, but I think he was really learning a lot and I'm not sure that TV-editing gave him the fairest chance...  But alas, it's been announced that he won't return (nor will Cara), and I wish him well.  I hope that he has learned a ton that will help him do well in the future!

Jillian:  The lovely, strong, tiny firecracker Jillian Michaels. I think that her strong, loud, vibrant demeanor and yet inwardly mushy heart (admit it) made her a staple in the show.  The dynamic will surely change, and like everyone, I will miss her a lot: I'll miss her shouting in the gym, her reactions at weigh-ins, her unwavering outward confidence.  What a role-model I have found in her. I can't mourn, as I listen to her podcasts whilst exercising, plan on buying Unlimited at the next possible financially right moment. I await her tweets on twitter like a child awaiting summer vacation, and look forward to seeing her future endeavors.

Anna: Really?  I mean, I don't want to judge her yet and I'm trying SO hard not to, but really? All I could see were legs last night.  A sports star knows how to train personally, but to train others? I'm skeptical, that's as honest as I can be. I don't really relate to her because I don't know her story.  I feel like NBC was trying to attract viewers by hiring her, but then why let go of Brett and Cara, at least they have a season of BL experience!  Why not have more personal training time, let Bob lead the trainers, take charge that way?  Eh.  I can't hate, I just can't.  But it'll take some convincing by NBC on my part..

So overall?  The finale seemed a bit rushed and confusing, though I was grinning ear to ear for most of it. Not unhappy that Rulon wasn't on, could've done without Q, Dan and Don. I look forward to seeing the next year for the Season 11 contestants.  I can't wait to feel like these contestants talk about feeling- the happiness, the euphoria, the new-ness of life. I'll probably start watching Season 12 when it comes on in September.  I hope that by the time Season 12 begins, I weigh less than at least a few of the women!  <-- honesty.

Please share your thoughts, opinions on the show or on my post.  Would love some discussion. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great recap. I'll miss Jillian terribly. It's too bad they couldn't have got Kim back. I may be in the minority but I like her. I tried to like Cara also, as a trainer. As a person I think she's got a lot of spirit and is wonderful. Brett would have been a good replacement for Jillian but he did lose all those who were training under him and I think they would like to have one male and one female trainer. We'll have to see how well Legs (I mean Anna) does in Season 12. I'll hold my judgement till then. I was glad to see Rulon not there, and Kaylee was... well you said plenty about her I 110% agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post! This wasn't long at all ;) I'll definitely miss Jillian terribly as well, but I respect her desires too. Tough! I like your thoughts on Brett and Cara also. I really think that both of them could have done well with some Bob-conditioning haha. I seriously think one more season could have been a make-or-break season for them. Adding a 4th trainer (or rather, 2nd now) would be imperative, but I just wasn't ready to let go of Brett & Cara either... Oh well...! Haha so glad you called Anna 'Legs', because that is exactly what I called her when I saw her on the show last night. And I agree - so holding my judgement for as long as I can... :)

    ReplyDelete